Monday, March 10, 2008

Java Hacker

I'm a Java guy. Java is the language I learned the best during my ten year at the university. I also tried and wrote small one-time programs using C++, Coldfusion, Lisp, Python. I don't remember these very well anymore. My Java knowledge increased by working on big projects utilizing a lot of the language. I know what I was taught. I first learned how to write a program and get it running using an applet. Then I learned the MVC paradigm and how to get a program running using a web application. I hope you understand what I mean. There must be other more sophisticated ways to get an application running. How do I learn them? Are web frameworks still good? Is there a 2nd language I should become familiar with? My one goal is to be able to get an application up and running from scratch. All I have to do now is learn how to do this.

4 comments:

synthesis said...

Study the differences between static and dynamic typing. Learn Ruby and check out the RubyOnRails web framework. Read blogs about it.

dng said...

Thanks. I'll do that.

austen.ito said...

ruby and rails are awesome! Do what James says!

Philip Johnson said...

Hi Keola,

Great to see your blog!

I agree that Ruby on Rails is a very useful framework to learn.

On the Java side, I am intrigued by Wicket:

http://wicket.apache.org/

You might want to build a simple webapp with it and see how it goes.

Cheers,
Philip